Tuesday 2 January 2007

A potential solution component

"I think that Microsoft's Windows Workflow Foundation (WWF) will prove to be a valuable tool in my armoury of technologies."

So why would I be interested in a solution already, if I have not yet got to the bottom of defining the problem?

Well, the simple answer is that I was impressed by what this vendor produced last time. As well as doing “big picture” architecture work, I have also been spending time doing some hands-on coding at the front line. I was tasked with teasing requirements out of business users and spinning them round to come up with quick prototypes of the application they desired. I discovered that what MS have delivered to coders in the ASP.NET 2.0 web controls makes it so quick to prototype and deliver neat applications (including code that is reusable and close to models).

Based on these results with the second version of the .NET framework, I am placing a bet on the 3.0 version. Yes I know that this version is just 2.0 with three new components bundled, but one of those components seems to fit squarely in my area of interest, where true solutions usually come with extremely large amounts on baggage. And here is one that will be "out-of-the box" on virtually every new PC shipped from the end of this month, and is already a free of charge download for a large proportion of the worlds PCs and a great number of servers too.

Here's a little glimpse for those of you out there who like pretty modelling tools (the Windows Workflow Foundation Rules Engine).

And here are some bloggers who periodically discuss WWF:

Matt Milner (trainer)
Dave Green (architect)
Paul Andrew (technical product manager)

No comments: